By Daniel Mwesigwa
Robert ‘Soggy’ Seguya, the Uganda Cranes XV Side coach has passed on.
His passing on was confirmed last night.
“Uganda Rugby mourns the loss of legendary player and Coach Robert Sseguya,” Uganda Ruby Union tweeted.
Whereas the Union did not confirm his cause of death, The Gazette understands that he succumbed to leukemia
On May 29, 2021, the rugby fraternity organized a fundraiser as his health detoriated.
Seguya is a former African champion who also won a total of 33 trophies in an illustrious career spanning 13 years from 1999 to 2012.
- Selected for Africa Leopards twice in 2007 and 2008 being made captain on the first call
- Won the Uganda Cup with Heathens 2010, 2009, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002, 2001
- Played for Uganda in 7s at the Commonwealth Games in 2006, 2010
- Played for Uganda in the IRB Sevens circuit in 2001, 2003, 2004
- Has coached Heathens, Toyota Buffaloes and Jinja Hippos