Lost your password?
Don't have an account? Sign Up

Kalangala: 2 strangled to death in 3 days

By Deus Mukitale

Two people have been strangled to death in 3 days in Kalangala.

One of the victims is yet to be identified while another has been identified as Sarah Ogwang, a beach manager.

Preliminary findings show that at 8am on November 21, 2021 residents discovered a dead body of an unknown male adult floating on the shores of Lake Victoria a few meters from Lutoboka landing site and informed the Beach Management Unit Chairman who reported the incident to Lutoboka Marine Police Post vide SD REF 05/21/11/2021.

The body was retrieved from the water, bearing multiple bruises around the neck pointing to strangulation before the body was ferried from wherever and dumped in the water. The said body was later conveyed to Kalangala HCIV for Postmortem as inquiries continue vide Kalangala CRB 713/2021.

In another similar incident, Sarah Ogwang, 27, a manager at Pelican beach was last night strangled to death in her house. The matter was reported to police Vide Mulabana SD REF 02/24/11/2021.

It’s alleged Maria Birungi, a waitress at Pelican Beach that while sleeping, heard the deceased groaning, sounding ‘Askari’ (guard), referring to Okiror, the Watchman whom investigators say was in an intimate relationship with the deceased. Later, Birungi says the door was closed.

She adds that when the matter was brought to the attention of Okiror and another guard identified as Olupot, the pair was reluctant to take up the matter.

Birungi decided to return to her bed after knocking on the deceased door to no response. The two watchmen went and borrowed a mobile phone from Kibuuka, a casual laborer in the area to report the matter to the beach owner. They were reportedly advised to report the matter to police instead.

Moments later, Birungi was summoned to narrate what exactly happened to Ogwang.

After this, Okiror was tasked to access the deceased room and check. He returned saying she was not in.

Okiror was sent the second time. This time, he returned saying the body was lifeless.

Okiror and Olupot have been arrested to help in the investigation.

The deceased body has been taken to Masaka regional referral hospital for a postmortem vide Kalangala CRB 722/2021.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *